Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is this a pattern?

All of my students can make simple and complex patterns as well as tell me what kind of pattern they made.  That being said many of my second langauage learners are having difficulty identifying patterns.  What do I mean?  I show them a pattern and ask, "Is this a pattern?"  What do they do?  Guess!  I am having to show them how to stop, think, say the pattern in their head or out loud to see if it has more then one part and repeats.  My new favorite question, and they are so sick of hearing it, is "How do you know this is a pattern?" 

Here is a little chart I made for them to help them think through the process.


Pattern

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the chart. :)
    I have a few who are having a hard time also.
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete